Even the most reliable and high-quality furniture gradually begins to lose its original appearance. In order not to spend a lot of money, it is worth learning how to paint laminated furniture and give a second life to a piece of interior. If desired, a modern style dresser can be finished in a classic design. The procedure does not take much time and does not require special skills, the purchase of expensive equipment. The most important thing is to choose the right paint and comply with the technology.
How to choose the right paint
Before you tackle the job, you must first select the right paint with a suitable composition. From the right choice depends on the level of quality of performance of the work, the duration of the result, as well as the original characteristics.
Before you paint wooden laminate furniture and choose a paint, you need to decide in what condition is the object, individual preferences and the final result. The main aspect to consider is the type of coating. If you plan to repaint a dresser made of wood, you need to buy a composition on wood, if metal, you need to buy the appropriate paint. A similar rule applies to furniture with a lacquered finish.
The mixture must meet certain conditions:
- water resistance;
- resistant to abrasion;
- a high level of strength and resistance to frost
- withstands mechanical influences.
Choosing paint for lacquered furniture, you should be guided by the end result. It is accepted to allocate the following types of finishes:
Depending on the condition of the furniture, it is worth paying attention to paint compositions with a dense base. Apply the mixture with a roller, not a brush. All paint products can be divided into several categories:
- Acrylic. It is considered the most common type. There is a water base, which guarantees good fluidity and coverage. The paint is distributed evenly and the paint penetrates into all cracks and crevices. Can be used on natural wood and plywood surfaces. It is acceptable for veneer and laminate;
- metallic enamel. An optimal solution for furniture decoration, handles and frames can be painted. A wide range of shades makes it possible to dramatically transform existing furniture;
- the use of varnish helps to refresh the top layers of coverage. Lacquering can be done for any look, giving old furniture an attractive appearance;
- paint with a fire retardant composition is used for furniture that is installed in a room with a high fire hazard.
Based on the above categories, each person can make the appropriate choice.
How to paint polished furniture
The entire work procedure is divided into several steps. If you follow the procedure described below, the furniture will last as long as possible with the preservation of an attractive appearance.
The preparatory stage takes up most of the time of the whole process. Before you start the work, you must first remove all layers of decorative paint to ensure a good bond with the wood in the future. Beforehand, the furniture is cleaned of dust and dirt. If necessary, you can wipe off very dirty areas with a cloth with soapy water.
The old coating is eliminated by the following methods:
– mechanical. The most costly method in terms of effort, but economical in terms of money. By sandpaper, sanding machine, metal brush removes a layer of paint. With the help of sandpaper and sandpaper, hard-to-reach areas are processed. As a result, the surface is ready for painting;
- thermal. Stale varnish is heated, and it begins to peel off. It is possible to use stroyfen. Then the paint is scraped off with a spatula or spatula;
- chemical. Characterized by ease of use and affordability. And although it will cost more than the mechanical one, it will allow you to get rid of the old coating in the shortest possible time.
In this case, the method depends on the financial capabilities and preferences of the person.
How to paint laminate furniture without sanding (without sanding)
How to paint laminate furniture without sanding wants to know many people who want to save time on preliminary work. In fact, the technology of painting is almost no different than the one that will be discussed next. The difference without sanding is to sand the entire surface with fine sandpaper before painting.
Tools and materials needed
It is recommended to prepare the following tools in advance:
- in several sizes of rollers and brushes. For large areas, tools with a wide working surface can be used. Areas that are difficult to access can be painted with thin brushes;
- paint sprayer (if you plan to do large volumes);
- sandpaper in sheets of different grit sizes. Excellent helps to clean up small areas. A sanding machine comes in handy if you plan to work on a large surface. For example, a cabinet;
- A metal brush, which will help to quickly scrape off old varnish or paint by mechanical action. If there is no electricity, this is the best solution;
- varnish to cover wooden furniture;
- solvent (to eliminate paint undercurrents);
Stages of painting with a brush
The entire painting procedure can be divided into several stages:
- preliminary work to prepare the surface for painting;
- elimination of defects: puttying holes and cracks, scraping and leveling, priming;
- Paint the furniture with a brush and then varnish the surface;
If you do not get rid of the old coating beforehand, and immediately apply a new coat, it will certainly affect the appearance of the furniture. As a result, the paint will quickly crack. It is best to apply thin layers of paint. Each coat should be pre-dried before applying a new one. You can tape over areas of furniture that do not need to be painted.
After painting, each surface must be thoroughly dried, make the assembly of all elements, put back in place handles and decorative elements, if available. Decorating is no less important stage in carrying out the restoration. It is acceptable to use film, photo wallpaper, decoupage or mosaics as new elements.
You need to spend a lot of time to finally dry the paint and varnish. In advance, it is necessary to make the room uninhabited and ensure good air ventilation. Some formulations can release hazardous chemicals that can adversely affect your health.
As a rule, it takes at least 2 days for the varnish and paint to dry. Each manufacturer indicates the longest possible drying time at a certain temperature on the package. The best is considered a mark of 23 degrees.
Features of painting in white
An interesting fact is that it is possible to repaint furniture in white even the darkest shades and even black. Beforehand, it is necessary to use a bleaching paste, which is applied already on the prepared surface. The agent contributes to the brightening of the pigment, fills the void, cracks.
Features of painting in black
If you plan to repaint a table with a wide tabletop in black, it is likely that the furniture will get a new presentable appearance and will last for many years. The preparatory stage is universal and involves stripping the old coating, puttying and leveling the surface. It remains to apply black paint in an even layer. You can choose a coated paint, which is much more evenly laid on the surface. With this type of paint, it is not at all necessary to waste time and peel off the old varnish.
How to paint with a sprayer – step by step
The sprayer is an effective tool, through which you can evenly distribute the paint over the entire surface of the furniture. Compared with universal rollers and brushes, with the help of this equipment is much easier to cope with the task and in a minimum of time.
Painting with a sprayer is not difficult. The procedure does not involve a large monetary investment, but it is best to proceed step by step, as will be specified in the instructions step by step:
- Free the furniture from additional components: drawers, stands, doors. Each element is painted separately. Then paint the internal surfaces, including joints and corners;
- Painting drawers, doors and shelves. Previously, each element must be tightened with a shelf;
Tip: for hard-to-reach areas with a small area, it is best to use a thin brush.
- Painting the main surface. The application of paint should be done evenly and slowly. Once the first coat is dry, apply a second coat. This will create an even and firm layer;
- Then all the furniture components can be assembled back together.
At the last stage, you can additionally do decorating, sanding the surface, giving your favorite furniture a unique and beautiful appearance. To achieve the best result, it is advisable to use brushes and a sprayer. Then the work will look more neat and presentable.