Beginning furniture painters or those who make repairs at home on their own, it is important to know how to paint furniture without sanding. Thanks to these tips you can give a chair, an old dresser or other furniture a new look without too much effort.
Is it possible to paint furniture without sanding and removing paint
To give your wooden furniture a fresh, updated look, it needs to be repainted. To save their money and money, many people want to do it without sanding and priming.
If we are talking about a wooden chair that stands at the cottage or in the barn, used several times a year and not visible to guests, it is quite possible to repaint it without sanding and priming. But you should remember that in this case, a new coat of paint will be applied unevenly, as the coating will lie on all the defects. If the paint has already begun to peel off in some places and is still holding on in others, the coating will be uneven.
Before you paint wooden furniture without sanding, you should know when it can be done. Painting furniture without sanding is relevant in the following cases:
- the previous layer of paint is thin and even, the surface does not require additional manipulation to smooth out before painting;
- The paint is not swollen, not chipped, or for the owner of the furniture does not matter whether small defects will be visible upon completion of the work
- The type of paint chosen corresponds in composition to what was applied previously, in which case the coating will lie evenly, if the furniture is free of defects in the previous painting.
When it does not matter if the sanding is done or not, you can use various secrets that will help you learn how to paint wooden furniture without sanding.
Features of painting without sanding by type of furniture
Painting furniture with paint without sanding is quite possible. The main thing is to take into account what material it is made of. This will allow you to choose the right type of paint, which affects the final result.
Experienced craftsmen know how to paint furniture made of particleboard without sanding. To do this, you should:
- use a chemical gel wash, which provides effective removal of the primary coating without sanding;
- Purchase alkyd or acrylic enamel, as it is most tightly applied to the chipboard surface, leaving no streaks.
Particleboard is quite a thin material, and therefore sanding can lead to damage to the top layer. Instead, a gentle cleansing of the enamel with special gels is usually used. They are sold at any construction store or large supermarket. If there is no time to remove the old paint with a gel, it is allowed to apply a new coating over it.
Knowing how to paint plywood furniture without sanding will be useful to many. Due to its special structure, furniture made of this material is best painted with a sprayer. It allows the paint to be applied evenly to the surface, even if it has not been sanded before. Acrylics are the best paint to use: they are applied quickly, evenly, without streaks, and they retain their original appearance for a long time.
To consolidate the final result when painting plywood, enamel should be used. It is selected depending on the type of paint, can be glossy or matte. The layer of enamel should be thin, you can apply 1-2 coats, no more. This step will hide all the small flaws that were visible when painting with paint without sanding.
TIP: When painting plywood furniture, you should ensure that the room has maximum access to oxygen. In this case, the paint will dry faster, lay an even layer, which is very important when coating without sanding.
From the laminate
Before you paint furniture made of laminate without sanding, it is necessary to remove all dirt and grease from the surface. This is best done with a cloth soaked in detergent. A dishwashing detergent is recommended: it cleans effectively, quickly and gets rid of excess grease.
When the surface is clean, you can begin to remove the first layer of paint. To do this, use special primers are primers that are suitable for almost all materials, including laminate. It allows the paint and the surface of the object to be painted to create a dense symbiosis – a coating without lumps, chips and missed streaks.
The choice of primer depends on the manufacturer and the desired effect: there are products that are suitable only for laminate, and there are universal models. They cost a little more, but then they can be used when staining furniture made of other materials, such as natural wood.
IMPORTANT: Primer – the very necessary element to create a dense and strong layer, which is necessary for those who do not know how to paint ready-made wooden furniture without sanding.
How to wash paint off furniture
If you do not want to spend a long time with sanding before applying a new paint, you should know how to wash paint off furniture without sanding. There are 2 ways to do this: with or without the use of chemicals.
When you are not allergic to chemicals used to remove paint, it is recommended to use them to quickly get rid of the old coating. Among the cleaners there are 2 categories:
- Substances that contain organic compounds. They include alcohol, acetone, gasoline mixtures, which can be quite prepared on their own. However, it is better to buy a ready-made cleaner in the store: it is inexpensive and provides a quick removal of the old layer of paint. With the help of chemicals, you can completely get rid of the old coating in just 1 hour, without physical effort, as with sanding.
- Compounds that are based on sodium hydroxide. It helps to effectively remove special compounds like rust-proof primer, and is also the most proven remedy against acrylic and water-based paints.
To remove paint from furniture with chemicals, you need to apply a thin layer of them to the surface, wait until the reaction is over, and remove the remaining layer with a rag. Next, you need to dry the surface, degrease and rinse it, and then let it dry again. After that, you can proceed with the direct painting.
One of the safest options for preparing the surface before painting is related to how to wash paint off furniture without the use of chemicals. This is a gentler way to deal with the old coating, which is suitable for allergic people and can be used in the home where there are small children and animals.
How to remove paint from furniture without chemicals – tips:
- You should prepare a construction hair dryer, a spatula and a solution to degrease the surface.
- In order for the hair dryer to effectively remove paint, you should heat the air surface near the furniture to 650 degrees. The paint will then begin to bubble and peel off and can easily be removed with a spatula.
- When the entire surface is scrubbed, you should take a degreaser, wipe everything down, and then let the furniture dry. Once the work is done, you can begin painting.
How to spray paint wooden furniture without sanding
There are several secrets on how to paint old wooden furniture without sanding. One is to use a spray gun. It creates a dense yet thin coat of paint, and it can be used even if the furniture surface has not been prepared (without sanding).
NOTE: Using a sprayer is the safest and fastest way to spray paint on wood furniture without sanding.
There is nothing complicated about how to spray paint furniture without sanding. To do this, you should:
- Take a sprayer and buy paint that is suitable in composition and consistency.
- Prepare the surface by cleaning it of dirt and grease.
- Keep the paint at least 15 cm from the furniture surface, paying particular attention to difficult areas (bends, backs, legs and handles), avoiding fittings and other inserts.
Apply a layer with a sprayer until the paint lies evenly, neatly, without gaps.
Features of painting in white
Before painting furniture white, the surface also needs to be prepared. For this purpose, a degreaser and primer are used. After all dirt and grease is removed from the furniture, a thin priming layer is applied. It will allow the paint to lie flat and dry quickly.
If the furniture has previously been painted in a color other than white, it takes at least three coats to reliably cover the old coating.
The primer partially allows you to get rid of the old layer when painting. If three coats of white paint are not enough to overlap the old color, you should apply that number of coats that will create an even picture. Next, a varnish is applied according to the type of paint.
How to paint furniture black without sanding
There is nothing complicated about how to paint furniture black without sanding. It requires:
- choose a paint according to the type of furniture material;
- Prepare the surface (remove dirt and grease);
- Apply the number of coats, which will eliminate the need for repainting.
Particular attention should be paid to bends: the paint is worse on them. When the work is done, it is advisable to apply a finishing coat of varnish. It will smooth out the imperfections.